Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A moment that changed your life.

I was asked recently to pinpoint a moment that changed my life, on first consideration I said that it was taking part in a University Access Programme which late led to my going to University and getting a degree in English Studies. On reflection that’s a little to simplified.

 

I found out about the Programme from a friend in a drama group when I was sixteen, he was close to completing it and was telling me about how much he enjoyed it, making me decide to apply. So the moment that changed my life was sitting with him in a bowling alley while he told me about the course.

 

But…

 

If I had never joined the drama group in question we would never have had that conversation so the moment that changed my life was sitting on a bus with my sister (on the way to a school friend’s birthday party) and seeing an advertisement for the drama group and deciding to join.

 

But…

 

I was held back in school when I was seven, if I hadn’t been held back then I wouldn’t have been going to the same party that day and might never have seen the advertisement for the drama group, so the moment that changed my life was being held back when I was seven.

 

But…

 

The reason that I was held back in school is that I was three weeks too young to be accepted into the next year, so the moment that changed my life was actually being born on the day that I was born, rather than three weeks earlier.

 

But…

 

I was born exactly on schedule so, really, the moment that changed my life was being conceived.

 

But…

 

If my parents had never met than I wouldn’t have been conceived at all, they met when a friend of my Mother’s was too drunk to get a lift home on a motorcycle and instead my Dad gave them a lift in his car.

 

So, the moment that changed my life was some nameless girl drinking far too much at a wedding and then making a drunken show of her self.

 

Seems appropriate.

 

 

No comments: